How To Write the Prayer of the Faithful
By Corinna Laughlin
This booklet is an invaluable writing tool for those charged with the
task of composing the Prayer of the Faithful (intercessions or 'bidding' prayers) for parish liturgies.
The Prayer of the Faithful or Universal Prayer concludes the
Liturgy of the Word. Flowing from the Word of God, the entire assembly
intercedes not only for the local community, but for the whole Church
and the whole world. Writing the Prayer of the Faithful is an important
responsibility. It takes great care and skill to craft simple and
beautiful texts that will inspire the faithful.
An invaluable resource for priests, deacons, liturgy preparation groups, music directors and parish secretaries. It provides basic and necessary
background with practical examples parish staffs will need to compose
their own well-written prayers.
This booklet includes:
- An overview of the Prayer of the Faithful
- Writing tips for constructing the introduction, petitions, closing prayer, and assembly’s response
- Help with grammar
- Variations with sentence structure and prayer formats
- Appropriate ways for incorporating events from the news
- Examples and criteria for praying with the liturgical seasons, Scripture, and the saints
- Sample prayer texts
- Ideas for incorporating specific needs through the year
- Questions for discussion and reflection
- Answers to frequently asked questions
Softcover saddle stitched/ 6"x 9"/ 64 pages.
Published Spring 2015.